xx

Monday, April 25, 2011

Coffee of The Week

I miss the sound of seagulls. I miss the cool mist of the marine layer on my face.  I miss the smell of the ocean.    This past year and a half has not been easy on any of us.  I choose to focus on the positives.  I now enjoy the sound of  doves and a myriad of other birds that nest in our back yard, however, I often wish they would  reenact a scene from Hitchcock's "The Birds" and take care of  the pit bulls which reside to the left of us.    I've traded a misty marine layer for . . .  well, I can't think of a positive,  but I'll get back to you on that one.  I now enjoy the smell of gardenia, jasmine and roses.  But no matter where I am & no matter what surrounds me, one thing will never change. The smell of coffee in the morning.

Coffee of the week:

Cafe Vanilla
This is a fun drink, and simple to make.  With each sip, the natural flavor of the vanilla bean is a special treat that rewards your efforts in preparing this drink.

3/4  cup freshly brewed coffee that is still hot
1/4 vanilla bean
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp brown sugar
ground cinnamon or nutmeg

Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise & place it into a saucepan with the milk & brown sugar.  Stirring occasionally, bring to a boil.  Remove from heat, cover, & let stand for a couple of minutes.  Lift out the vanilla bean and blend the milk mixture in a blender for about 30 seconds, or until it becomes frothy.  Add the hot coffee and top with cinnamon or nutmeg.  Trust me.  This is totally worth pulling out your blender.  Now enjoy with whatever your surroundings may be.
Vanilla Muffins
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 scant teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 8 tablespoons butter, melted
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Pour milk mixture into the dry ingredients; mix all ingredients thoroughly. Spoon into greased or paper lined muffin tins and bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
Makes about 2 dozen muffins.
                                                 

No comments: